Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 1, 2012

STORY STARTER

A couple of weeks ago, after trying out short stories with 5-card flickr, I decided to try out the story starter idea on the http://teacher.scholastic.com page.  Although it says it's for primary students, I thought I'd give it a try with my 15-year olds. They had seemed to enjoy writing quick stories using flickr images and they were asking me for more!  The activity worked well and they are getting used to creating quick stories in a short period of time.  I am not focussing on form, only FUN.    Here is an example of how I did this activity:

1.  Open the story starter page on scholastic and get four students to pull the lever in order to choose the topic that they will be writing about.
2. Put the students in pairs.
3.  Give them about 10 minutes to write a quick story using all of the elements as shown in the picture.
4.  Read the stories out in class.
5.  Don't be too hard on their grammar.  Let them use their imaginations and have a bit of fun with writing!








1 comment:

  1. HI Susan, this is so interested. I think I have heard of it before but never tried it. I was trying out something similar with my teenage students called Pecha Flicker but it was more a speaking activity. Will write about it on my blog. Some students did very well with improvising on photos that appeard randomly every 10 seconds. Thx for sharing your lesson. I will try it out as well!

    ReplyDelete